It’s been a while since I posted about cars. And It’s been even longer I posted about V8 cars. So here goes an update now that I have something to report.
When we moved to the US last August I had to of course get back to real cars with real engines. After checking Audi Q7 (overpriced, underpowered, looks sloppy), Mercedes R series (huge but more American than German, not a real SUV) and calling after a few Mercedes GL series (overpriced) I settled with Porsche Cayenne Turbo, model year 2004. This car had it all and was an absolutely beast to drive. Twin turbo V8, 450hp stock, 0-100km/h in 5.3 secs, all possible options. Handling and acceleration like a sports car but still with all the comfort extras and even cargo space for a family. Jack of all trades. No comparison to the others.
The only controversial you can say about the car is how it looks. Cayenne’s nickname in the forums is P!g. To me this particular animal, with 20″ rims and shining black basalt paint, has looked good from the first sight. However, I have to say knowing what’s inside does affect how you look at it.
I test drove two cars and ended up choosing the one that had 10k more miles on the dash but came with an extended Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned warranty, or just CPO in short. This was the first time I bought a car with warranty. Turns out the choice to have a car with the factory warranty was absolutely the right one. Here’s a list of maintenance and repairs over the CPO period. My part starts from the 80K mile service up:
- Replaced Air Suspension Compressor, Jan 2012 @ 92k miles
- Replaced Lower Control Arms, Jan 2012
- Replaced Passenger Side Mirror Motor, Jan 2012
- Replaced Brake Booster Line and Valve, Dec 2011
- Replaced Starter, Nov 2011
- Replaced Remote Key, Sep 2011
- Replaced Battery, Sep 2011
- Performed 80K Mile Service (inc. Air Filter, Spark Plugs), Sep 2011
- Replaced Drive Shaft, Apr 2011
- Replaced Driver Side Headlight Assembly, Oct 2010
- Replaced Coolant Hose, Oct 2010
- Replaced DME Control Unit, Mar 2010
- Replaced Dome Lamp, Jan 2010
- Replaced Park Brake Shock, Jan 2010
- Replaced Fuel Door Lock, Jan 2010
- Replaced Aux Water Pump, Jan 2010
- Replaced Coolant Pipes, Jan 2010 @ 76k miles
Pretty long list over two years and just over 15k miles! My experience with CPO has been excellent and prompt service. Everything has been replaced without questions (except for the air compressor that took three visits and a call to Porsche USA) and over repairing things I’ve reported they have found other issues and fixed them on the way. You get a free service loaner while the car is in for repairs, and when you pick up the car back it comes hand washed.
I have no information of major maintenance and repairs before the CPO period except what Carfax tells me. Interesting details include “engine serviced” in March 2007, “transmission checked” in March 2009 and several notes for “electrical” service.
The CPO coverage is now over. From now on I’m driving this beast on my own. The car does have mileage behind but the good thing is I know my car has been meticulously serviced, always at the dealership, and with original parts. It has no open issues. The fix list above goes pretty much through the known problems of early Cayennes.